Do you love animals? Are you looking for a meaningful career? At the Jacksonville Humane Society, we believe that you CAN combine work with pleasure. If you are team-oriented, have a passion for animals and are available to work during our customer-friendly hours, we’d like you to consider our employment opportunities.
How To Apply
Download and complete our employment application. The application can be delivered to our human resources by scanning and emailing to email@example.com, fax at 904-725-3040, or mail our office (attention: Human Resources) for review.
Your application will be reviewed and considered for the open position for which you have applied. In the event that your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position, you will be contacted for an interview.
The Jacksonville Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.
Customer Service Specialist
JHS has a position available for an Adoption Counselor. The Adoption Counselor is responsible for assisting the public with appropriate adoption choices in a friendly, courteous and approachable manner.
- Facilitate the adoption process on-site at JHS or at off-site locations
- Transport of pets, crates, tables, supplies etc. to off-site adoption events
- Providing direction to volunteers assisting with adoption activities
- Complete adoption profiles
- Perform pet consultations
- Counsel new pet owners
- Organize adoption paperwork
- Walk and train adoptable dogs
- Maintain a clean and safe environment for the animals and the public
- Educate patrons regarding responsible pet ownership
- Other duties as assigned
- High School diploma
- 2-3 years of customer service skills in an office or retail business setting
- Basic computer and data entry skills
- Excellent communication skills and pleasant demeanor for interaction with customers, volunteers and staff
- Ability to work comfortably with and around animals following JHS procedures and protocol
- Organization skills, multi-tasking ability and the capacity for working well under pressure
- Ability to work as a team player and possess the ability to self-motivate
- Ability to maintain professional appearance and provide a positive company image at all time
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, crouch, climb and manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 30 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in varying temperatures and climates
- This position will work with cleaning products
The schedule for this position includes weekend hours. Hours and days are subject to change based on department demands. All JHS positions require drug screening.
Customer Service Specialist
JHS has a part-time position available for a customer service specialist. The customer service specialist serves as the first line of information to hospital clients and the general public. The position performs record keeping and clerical duties in addition to providing support to hospital clients, veterinarians and the patient care team. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcome clients and patients with a warm and friendly demeanor and provide for their comfort
- Answer incoming telephone calls and e-mails. Provide knowledgeable advice including questions regarding hospital services, fees, and general JHS services. Direct other questions to the appropriate JHS employee or department
- Receive appointments. Ensure required forms are complete and all necessary information is obtained
- Handle emergency situations by following established hospital policies and procedures. Attempt to reassure distressed pet owners
- Follow hospital policies regarding patient admittance
- Notify technicians of patient arrival and relay all necessary information to them
- Discharge patients, including entering all charges into the computer. Review discharge instructions and dispense medications. Ensure that future reminders are in the computer system for the patient. Review services rendered to the pet and inform client of the total amount due
- Accept payment. Accurately process cash, checks, and credit care payments
- Schedule appointments including obtaining all necessary information concerning the animal and owner. Review acceptable payment arrangements with the client
- Perform over the counter selling of pet foods and supplies. Exercise a technical knowledge of products sold
- Enter data into the computer system as required. Retrieve and modify stored records. Assist in the updating of client/patient files as needed\Perform closing procedures at the end of the day. To include balancing the cash drawer, running end of day reports, preparing the bank deposit and presenting reports and deposit to the supervisor in charge
- Clean and straighten public areas including the front desk, reception area, waiting area, public bathrooms and exam rooms
- Cross train, as time allows, in technician responsibilities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Two years job experience working at a veterinary practice, but will consider applicants with less experience if they are motivated to learn and contribute fully to the hospitals success
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with culturally diverse clients, volunteers, staff and the community in a professional, pleasant and respectful manner at all times
- Ability to work as a team player
- Capability to maintain a professional appearance and provide a positive company image at all times
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work with cleaning products
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals
- Exposure to hazards associated with aggressive patients
The work schedule for this position includes weekend hours. This schedule is subject to change based on department needs. Holiday hours may occasionally be required.
JHS has a full-time position available for a hospital technician with an emphasis on client services. The hospital technician supports the veterinary staff in ensuring quality veterinary care for all pets, supports education of clients on pet health, and ensures a safe and effective hospital environment. Areas of responsibility encompass client services, treatments, inventory and ordering support, hospital cleanliness and surgery support. The position ensures efficiency of appointments, surgery, treatments. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Radiology – technique, positioning, linking x-rays to patient files, observing radiation safety rules
- Office hours – weighing, temping, assessing, history, lab tests, vaccines, assisting veterinarians and technicians with restraint, prescription filling
- Treatment – IV catheters, phlebotomy, lab tests, radiology, nursing care, cleaning, feeding
- Surgery – induction, maintenance and recovery from surgery/anesthesia, patient record updates, safe animal handling, assistance in surgery as needed, cleaning/wrapping of used packs, opening of new packs/supplies, lab tests as required
- Experienced veterinary technician with a combination of education and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- At least two years’ experience as a technician in all aspects of hospital operations with an emphasis on office hours
- Ability to work on multiple tasks with interruptions in an energetic environment with the pressure of periodic heavy workloads
- Ability to anticipate and identify problems and needs and solve them and/or communicate them appropriately
- Capability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Computer literate with knowledge in Microsoft Office and practice management software
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and to build successful relationships with a diverse customer population
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekend and holiday hours. Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
Work Schedule The work schedule for this position includes weekend hours. This schedule is subject to change based on department needs. Holiday hours may occasionally be required.
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds
- This position will work with cleaning products, and on occasion will be exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Exposure to hazards associated with aggressive patients