Do you love animals? Are you looking for a meaningful career? At the Jacksonville Humane Society, we believe that you CAN combine work with pleasure. If you are team-oriented, have a passion for animals and are available to work during our customer-friendly hours, we’d like you to consider our employment opportunities.
How To Apply
Download and complete our employment application. The application can be delivered to our human resources by scanning and emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax at 904-725-3040, or mail our office (attention: Human Resources) for review.
Your application will be reviewed and considered for the open position for which you have applied. In the event that your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position, you will be contacted for an interview.
The Jacksonville Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.
Customer Service Specialist
Pet Safety Net Counselor (ACPS)
Customer Service Specialist
JHS has a part-time position available for a customer service specialist. The customer service specialist serves as the first line of information to hospital clients and the general public. The position performs record keeping and clerical duties in addition to providing support to hospital clients, veterinarians and the patient care team. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcome clients and patients with a warm and friendly demeanor and provide for their comfort
- Answer incoming telephone calls and e-mails. Provide knowledgeable advice including questions regarding hospital services, fees, and general JHS services. Direct other questions to the appropriate JHS employee or department
- Receive appointments. Ensure required forms are complete and all necessary information is obtained
- Handle emergency situations by following established hospital policies and procedures. Attempt to reassure distressed pet owners
- Follow hospital policies regarding patient admittance
- Notify technicians of patient arrival and relay all necessary information to them
- Discharge patients, including entering all charges into the computer. Review discharge instructions and dispense medications. Ensure that future reminders are in the computer system for the patient. Review services rendered to the pet and inform client of the total amount due
- Accept payment. Accurately process cash, checks, and credit care payments
- Schedule appointments including obtaining all necessary information concerning the animal and owner. Review acceptable payment arrangements with the client
- Perform over the counter selling of pet foods and supplies. Exercise a technical knowledge of products sold
- Enter data into the computer system as required. Retrieve and modify stored records. Assist in the updating of client/patient files as needed\Perform closing procedures at the end of the day. To include balancing the cash drawer, running end of day reports, preparing the bank deposit and presenting reports and deposit to the supervisor in charge
- Clean and straighten public areas including the front desk, reception area, waiting area, public bathrooms and exam rooms
- Cross train, as time allows, in technician responsibilities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Two years job experience working at a veterinary practice, but will consider applicants with less experience if they are motivated to learn and contribute fully to the hospitals success
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with culturally diverse clients, volunteers, staff and the community in a professional, pleasant and respectful manner at all times
- Ability to work as a team player
- Capability to maintain a professional appearance and provide a positive company image at all times
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work with cleaning products
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals
- Exposure to hazards associated with aggressive patients
The work schedule for this position includes weekend hours. This schedule is subject to change based on department needs. Holiday hours may occasionally be required.
Pet Safety Net Counselor (ACPS)
JHS has a full time position available for a Pet Safety Net Counselor. As part of our no-kill initiative, we have developed numerous programs that enlist the public as allies in keeping animals out of shelters. By creating a safety net through programs like these, we save lives while educating our community in a meaningful, supportive way about the responsibilities of pet ownership. The Pet Safety Net Counselor is responsible for providing alternatives to pet owners who feel they need to relinquish their pets, as well as the evaluation and processing of animals into the shelter system. This position is primarily located at Jacksonville Animal Care and Protective Services. Some shifts, training and meetings will be located at JHS.
Interact with a high volume of pet owners looking to relinquish their pet in person or over the phone with an emphasis on directing them towards alternatives
Counsel pet owners to find solutions so their pet will remain at home or be re-homed rather than entering a shelter. When appropriate schedule appointments for admission to JHS.
Use Microsoft Word and Excel to collect data regarding each client interaction
Assess kennel space for determining the volume of appointments/transfers and type (species, breed/mix, age, health status) of adoptable animals that can be reasonably accepted
Evaluate animals as candidates for admission through medical and temperament screening
Assess general health and give vaccinations, draw blood, administer appropriate dewormer and flea control
Notify behavior staff if animal has specific behavior needs or concerns
Assist in transfers from other agencies
- Enter all animal information into the animal inventory software system and produce kennel cards for animals that are admitted
Ensure a safe and clean environment within working area
Other duties, as assigned
High School Diploma or GED
Strong comfort level reading canine and feline body language
Prior counseling experience preferred
Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Works
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Ability to provide excellent customer service to a diverse external customer population
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
Capability to work in a fast paced environment with the ability to multi-task
Physical Demands: This position consists of manual labor and lifting up to 60 pounds is required on a regular basis.
Work Environment: Indoor and outdoor environment with exposure to environmental conditions that include working near animals. Position may be exposed to hazardous materials and noisy conditions.
Work Schedule: Hours, days and location are subject to change based on department demands and could include weekends or split work days.
All JHS positions require a criminal background check and drug screening.