Do you love animals? Are you looking for a meaningful career? At the Jacksonville Humane Society, we believe that you CAN combine work with pleasure. If you are team-oriented, have a passion for animals and are available to work during our customer-friendly hours, we’d like you to consider our employment opportunities.
How To Apply
Download and complete our employment application. The application can be delivered to our human resources by scanning and emailing to email@example.com, fax at 904-725-3040, or mail our office (attention: Human Resources) for review.
Your application will be reviewed and considered for the open position for which you have applied. In the event that your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position, you will be contacted for an interview.
The Jacksonville Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.
Animal Care Attendant
Animal Care Attendant
JHS has a position available in our Shelter Operations Department. The primary activities will be as an Animal Care Attendant specifically assuring and maintaining a clean, safe, and healthy environment for the animals in our care. In addition this position assists with other shelter operation areas as needed. Primary Responsibilities:
- Continuous cleaning and disinfecting of kennels, runs, cages and crates according to department procedures
- Performing laundry services for animal bedding and toys
- Feeding animals their proper diet
- Seeing to the comfort of all animals in the shelter
- Reporting animal illness, injury or behavior issues
- Assist volunteers and customers to the best of your ability or re-directing to the appropriate staff
- Assist with feline and canine behavior modification programs
- Medical technician duties, including but not limited to:
- Perform diagnostic testing
- Administer vaccinations
- Administer prescribed medications, both oral and injectable
- Maintain documentation and data entry of completed medical procedures/treatments
- Assist staff in animal handling, restraint, testing and general treatment
- Adoption counselor facilitating the adoption process:
- Complete adoption documentation
- Perform pet consultations
- Counsel new pet owners
- Organize adoption paperwork
- Walk and train adoptable dogs
- Educate patrons regarding responsible pet ownership
- Assist at boutique counter
- Transport of shelter animals to/from hospital following department procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to work as a team player
- Capability to self-motivate
- Ability to communicate sufficiently to perform assigned tasks, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to stand for extended periods, bend and stoop, kneel, and lift up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to work with cleaning products
- Capacity to work with all shelter animals
Physical Demands: This position consists of manual labor and lifting up to 60 pounds is required on a regular basis.
Work Environment: Indoor and outdoor environment with exposure to environmental conditions that include working near animals. Position may be exposed to hazardous materials and noisy conditions as work dictates.
- Hours and days are subject to change based on department demands and could include weekends or split work days
- All JHS positions require a criminal background check and drug screening.