Questions about how to adopt a pet?
Here you’ll find an overview of our process, fees, tips and other helpful information about adopting a pet.
View our available pets!
View JHS hours & directions »
JHS Adoptable Pets are:
- Spayed or Neutered prior to adoption
- FIV/FeLV Tested (Cats)
- Heartworm Tested (Dogs)
How to Adopt
Adopting a dog or cat from the Jacksonville Humane Society is a wonderful experience! All pets must be adopted in person, so please come by our shelter at 8464 Beach Blvd. We are open 7 days a week to assist you in finding your new best friend.
When you arrive at our facility, you will see we are under construction. There are signs to direct you, but do not hesitate to ask any of our staff where to go.Smaller dogs, puppies, cats and kittens are housed inside our adoptions building, while larger dogs are in the outside kennels.
You are welcome to just look around. Once you see someone you’d like to meet, head to the boutique where a staff member will assist you. After you meet with the pet and a counselor, you can finalize the paperwork and head home with your new family member!
Fees & Pricing
Standard Adoption Fees For Cats :
- Cats over 1 year = $50
- Cats under 1 year = $75
Standard Adoption Fees For Dogs :
- Dogs housed in our indoor kennels = $125
- Dogs housed in our outdoor kennels = $50
- Many dogs have sponsored adoption fees!
Additional Fees & Costs:
- The purchase of heartworm prevention will be added to the adoption fee for dogs over six months. Prices vary from $30 to $40 depending on the weight of the dog. If you’d prefer, you may purchase up to a one-year supply for the dog you adopt.
- The city of Jacksonville requires all adopters under the age of 62 living within Duval County (excluding Jacksonville Beach) to pay the city licensing fee at the time of adoption for any pet that has received its rabies vaccination. The cost is $20.
- All dogs must go home with an approved leash and collar; all cats must go home in an approved carrier. You may bring these items in with you, or we have them available for purchase at the time of adoption.
Adoption Fees Cover:
The adoption fees that we collect help us provide food, shelter, important medical care and inoculations for the animals. Each adoption fee includes the following for your new pet (retail value is approximately $400):
- Cost of spaying and neutering
- FeLV/FIV Combo Test (Cats)
- Heartworm Test (Dogs)
- Monthly flea, tick, and parasite prevention
- Please bring current ID and either cash or credit.
- Be prepared to spend at least one hour with a counselor to process your adoption.
- Bring a leash and collar (no choke collars or chains) if you plan to adopt a dog, or a plastic carrier for cats and kittens. These items may also be purchased from us at the time of adoption.
- You are welcome to bring your own dog if you are adopting another. Please make sure vaccinations are current.
- Adoption hours are M-F 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sun 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. There is extra parking along the fence across from our JHS Animal Hospital building.
- If your potential new best friend hasn’t completely convinced you during your visit to JHS, we offer commitment-free sleepovers on most adult pets. Just ask our staff about this option.
More questions? Don’t worry! Answers are available here: Jacksonville Humane Society 4 Steps to Adoptions
Are you looking for something specific? We do not have waiting lists for breeds, but you can set up email alerts using our automated system. To receive a Pet Alert email when a dog or cat that matches what you are interested in is placed up for adoption go to Petango.com:
- Select “Finding A Pet Advanced Search”
- Enter the criteria for your preferences and select “Search”
- The results page will provide an option to enter your email address to receive a Pet Alert message when an animal meeting your criteria is posted to the Petango website
- Adoptable animals from our shelter are included on Petango so this will include our dogs and cats at the Jacksonville Humane Society.