Become a Volunteer
| ||Jacksonville Humane Society Mission |
"The Jacksonville Humane Society provides care, comfort and compassion to animals in need while engaging the hearts, hands and minds of our community to bring about an end to the killing of abandoned and orphaned shelter animals."
Select your situation:
Step 1 - Meet the minimum requirements
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16 years. Sorry, no exceptions
- Those 16 and 17 years old must have their parents sign their volunteer waiver
- Print and fill out the Volunteer Parental Consent Waiver
- Bring this to the orientation (once scheduled), do not drop off prior
- Volunteers must be willing to meet the minimum time requirement for the position for which they apply
- Court-ordered community service cannot be completed through the volunteer program (see below for court-ordered details)
Step 2 - Select and complete ONE application
Animal Care Positions
If your goal is to learn more about animal behavior, following shelter guidelines to provide exceptional care to animals, or promoting animals for adoption, please complete this ANIMAL CARE application form. These require volunteers to cover at least one shift per week. Tasks include providing enrichment for dogs and cats, cleaning cages, talking to customers about adoptable pets, walking dogs, and other tasks as assigned. Volunteers have a opportunity to specialize in dogs or cats if preferred.
- Animal care positions have available shifts Monday-Friday 8am-6:30pm, Saturday 8am-5:30pm, & Sunday 8am-4:30pm
- Apply to ANIMAL CARE positions. By applying to this position, you agree to volunteer at least once a week for three or more months. If you know you are not able to commit to this, we recommend applying to the OFFICE SUPPORT or SPECIAL EVENTS positions.
Office Assistant Positions
If your goal is to help our animals through supporting our office teams, please complete this OFFICE ASSISTANT application form. These require volunteers to cover at least one shift every other week. Tasks include data entry, phone messages, filing, letter folding, occasionally directing customers, and other tasks as assigned. This position is great for those who might need 20 or fewer hours in a short amount of time.
- Office Assistant positions have available shifts Monday-Friday 8am-6:30pm, Saturday 8am-5:30pm, & Sunday 8am-4:30pm
- Apply to OFFICE ASSISTANT positions. By applying to this position, you agree to volunteer at least once every other week for three or more months. If you know you are not able to commit to this, we recommend applying to the SPECIAL EVENTS positions.
Special Events Positions
If your goal is to help our animals on a casual basis, please complete this SPECIAL EVENTS application form. These require volunteers to cover at least one shift every two months. Tasks include representing JHS at an events tables, donation and supplies delivery to the shelter or events, adoption events, and casual photography.
- Special Event positions have availability a few times a month or more on week days and weekends at various times.
- Apply to SPECIAL EVENTS positions. By applying to this position, you agree to volunteer at least once every other month. If you know you are not able to commit to this, we recommend signing up for the JHS newsletter to keep up to date with shelter news and happenings.
Step 3 - Sign-up for and attend orientation
- Within 1 week of your application, you will receive an email from the volunteer office with log-in credentials to view the orientation calendar. You will sign up for any spot that says "help wanted". If you need to cancel your appointment, simply log-in and click "remove me" from the calendar.
- If it has been more than a week and you have not been contacted, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to check your "junk" folder and add email@example.com to your contacts to ensure you receive our emails.
- Volunteers in all roles must attend an orientation. The orientation includes a tour, scheduling for shifts and training, receiving your volunteer shirt and name-tag, and paying the $25 program fee to off-set cost of those items.
Step 4 - Begin volunteering!
Not yet 16 years old? You can still help!
- Are you a kid who cares? Organize a fundraiser, donation drive, or toy-making project with your friends to help the homeless animals! The Kids Who Care form will let us know about your project as well as provides you with tips and tricks for organizing fundraisers and donation drives.
- Interested in making some toys for shelter animals? View our DIY Enrichment Ideas for ideas.
- On-site volunteer opportunities for those younger than 16 years old are unavailable at this time. We encourage you to visit Hands On Jacksonville, a community organization which connects you to other non-profits in need of help. Many of the organizations advertise their age limits.
- JHS youth activities can be found on our Humane Education page.
There are several ways for your group to become involved with the Jacksonville Humane Society
- Fundraiser or Donation Drive
- On-site group volunteering- Limited Opportunities
- View the list of Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Maximum group size is 8.
- Groups volunteers on Fridays & Saturdays
- Want to see which dates are available? Email possible dates and group information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request should be made 4 or more weeks from desired date and dates are not guaranteed
- Each participant should sign the Group Volunteering Waiver
- The minimum age for groups is 16.
The Court-Ordered Community Service program at JHS is separate from the Volunteer Program. If you need hours for court, do NOT fill out the online application. Instead, follow the guidelines below:
- You must be 18 years of age or older, no exceptions
- Have appropriate paperwork from the court
- Attend orientation any day Monday through Saturday at 7:30am (no need to preregister)
- Bring a $10 program fee
- Wear close toed shoes, jeans or knee-length shorts, t-shirt or warmer shirt depending on the weather (choose clothes you don't mind getting dirty and/or stained)
- Please note, if you sign up through our volunteer program and gain hours, you cannot use those hours for court requirements
Our court-ordered community service program is first come first serve basis; 8 people maximum per day. If you wish to start your hours the same day as orientation you should be here no later than 6:45am to beat the crowd.