Become a Volunteer
| ||Jacksonville Humane Society Mission |
"The Jacksonville Humane Society provides care, comfort and compassion to animals in need while engaging the hearts, hands and minds of our community to bring about an end to the killing of abandoned and orphaned shelter animals."
Select your situation:
Individual volunteers help once a week (or more!) for at least 3 months. For those wanting to help for only a few hours, an upcoming special event might be the best fit for you.
NOTE: From July 21st to August 8th, 2014 we will not be accepting new applications.
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16 years. Sorry, no exceptions
- View our opportunities directory for individual volunteer role details
- Complete our online application
- Sign-up for and attend a volunteer orientation
- Scheduled 1-2 weeks after the online application is approved
- At the orientation you will pay a $25 program fee (cash or card)
- At the orientation you will receive your volunteer shirt and nametag
- At the orientation you will set-up a schedule including additional training sessions if required
- Those 16 and 17 years old must have their parents sign their volunteer waiver
- Print and fill out the Volunteer Parental Consent Waiver
- Bring this to the orientation (once scheduled)
- Do NOT drop it off at the shelter before your scheduled orientation
View our Opportunities Directory to learn more about available volunteer positions
Do you still want to help, but are not 16 or older?
- Are you a kid who cares? Organize a fundraiser, donation drive, or toy-making project with your friends to help the homeless animals! The Kids Who Care form will let us know about your project as well as provides you with tips and tricks for organizing fundraisers and donation drives.
- Interested in making some toys for shelter animals? View our DIY Enrichment Ideas for ideas.
- On-site volunteer opportunities for those under 15 are unavailable at this time. We encourage you to visit Hands On Jacksonville, a community organization which connects you to other non-profits in need of help. Many of the organizations advertise their age limits.
Thank you for your interest in contributing to the Jacksonville Humane Society as a group! There are several ways for your group to become involved.
- Fundraiser or Donation Drive
- On-site group volunteering
- Special Events
- Toast to the Animals, Mutt March, and Mega Adoption Events are just a few of the special events available for groups. To get upcoming dates, email email@example.com
If you choose the Jacksonville Humane Society to fulfill your court-ordered community service hours, please follow the guidelines listed below:
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- Have appropriate paperwork from the court
- Wear close toed shoes, jeans or knee-length shorts, t-shirt or warmer shirt depending on the weather (choose clothes you don't mind getting dirty and/or stained)
- Attend orientation any day Monday through Saturday at 7:30am. No need to pre-register.
Our court-ordered community service program is first come first serve basis; 8 people maximum per day. If you wish to start your hours the same day as orientation you should be here no later than 6:45am to beat the crowd.
If you have further questions regarding this program, please ask our court ordered community service coordinator at time of orientation.