Becoming a JHS Volunteer
The Jacksonville Humane Society Volunteer Program offers several ways for community members to make a difference in the lives of homeless animals in Northeast Florida. Volunteers assist in the care of the animals, fundraising, customer service, off-site adoptions, special events, and foster parenting. Below are the steps to becoming a JHS Volunteer:
Step 1: Meet the Requirements to be a JHS Volunteer
- You have a love of animals, and a commitment to the success of the Jacksonville Humane Society.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 16; volunteers under age 18 will need parental consent.
- Volunteers must be able to complete tasks independently.
- Individuals needing fulfillment of court-ordered community service should visit our Court-Ordered Community Service page for information that program.
- Individuals and families wishing to become foster parents, please visit our foster parent page.
Step 2: Read the Volunteer Role Descriptions and find the roles that interests you the most
Please read the volunteer role description PDF.
Step 3: Email to set an interview date
Volunteer interviews are held a few times a week. Those wishing to attend MUST register in advance. Anyone under 18 must have their Volunteer Profile signed by their parent/guardian, and they are welcome to have their parents accompany them to the interview.
When you are ready to become a volunteer, register for an interview via email to email@example.com with "Volunteer Interview" in the subject line. Below are the usual interview times. Please include three (3) time preferences in your email:
Tuesdays: 10am, 10:20am, 10:40am, 11am, 11:20am, 11:40am, 12pm
Wednesdays & Thursdays: 3pm, 3:20pm, 3:40pm, 4pm, 4:20pm, 4:40pm, 5pm
The Volunteer Interview will include:
- Overview of the Jacksonville Humane Society Programs and Services
- Descriptions of available volunteer roles
- Opportunity for you to ask questions.
If you commit to volunteering with the Jacksonville Humane Society during the orientation, volunteers will:
- Pay the volunteer program fee of $25 (Cash or Card only)
- Receive a JHS Volunteer t-shirt
- Sign-up for training sessions
- Receive information on how to sign-up for shifts
If you have further questions, please contact the Community Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 904-725-8766.