Q: What is the minimum age to volunteer?
A: You must be at least 16 years of age to join the Jacksonville Humane Society (JHS) volunteer program.
Q: What are the details and requirements for the Volunteer Program?
A: The Volunteer Program is for individuals who are...
- interested and available to volunteer on a regular, on-going basis for at least three months.
- love animals and are committed to the success of the Jacksonville Humane Society.
- at least 16 years of age; volunteers under age 18 will need parental consent.
- able to complete tasks independently.
- Individuals and families wishing to become foster parents, please visit our Foster Parenting page.
There is a volunteer fee of $25 which includes a volunteer t-shirt and name tag and helps defray JHS program expenses. Please see the Becoming a Volunteer page to complete the sign up for the JHS volunteer program.
Q: Can I complete my court-ordered community service at the JHS?
A: Yes, you can. Minimum age is 18. However, that program is not managed through the volunteer office. The Community Outreach Coordinator cannot sign-off on any document verifying any type of court-ordered or related community service. For more information, please visit our Court-Ordered Community Service page or call 904.493.4571 for program details.
Q: Next Step to join the JHS Volunteer Program...
Please visit our Becoming a Volunteer page to sign up for an orientation date. During the orientation you will take a tour of the facility, learn about available volunteer roles, and pay the one-time volunteer program fee of $25. Once this fee is paid, you will receive training schedules, your t-shirt, and your weekly shift assignment. For questions, please contact our Community Outreach Coordinator via e-mail.
Thank you in advance for your contribution of time and energy to the companion animals in the care of the Jacksonville Humane Society!